Saturday, March 15, 2014

Bitter Melon and Shrimp Stir Fry (Ginisang Ampalaya at Hipon)

Type 2 Diabetes is an epidemic. In my family alone, Type 2 diabetes is present in both sides. I can accept it as a foregone conclusion for myself, or I can take significant steps to combat it. Dietary changes and exercise will definitely have to be the new norm. I have been reading about bitter melon as having the ability to lower blood glucose levels. I've also read and tried blending raw bitter melon with water and drinking it as a shake. I have to be honest. I had to definitely slow my roll on that one. Bitter melon is an acquired taste to say the least. In fact, it's probably classified in the hate it or love it category of vegetables to eat. Baby steps to better health before it's too late. We can all work our way to bitter melon shakes but for now, how about a tasty stir fry?

Bitter Melon and Shrimp Stir Fry


Bitter Melon and Shrimp Stir Fry (Ginisang Ampalaya at Hipon)

2 large bitter melon seeded and sliced on a bias
1 medium yellow onion thin sliced
5 garlic cloves minced
2 Roma tomatoes diced
1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined.
4 tbsp oyster sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure

on high heat, saute the onion and garlic until slightly brown then add the tomatoes. once the tomatoes are soft add the bitter melon and stir for a minute then add the oyster sauce, salt and pepper. keep stirring for another 2 minutes until the bitter melon is softer but still has a bit of crunch to it. add the shrimp and stir for another minute until the shrimp turns pink. serve with rice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment